Constable rapes teenage girl, arrested
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
A police constable raped a teenage girl, leaving her injured, in City Kotwali police station area of Gonda district on Wednesday.
Angry locals beat up the constable before handing him over to the police.
Gonda Superintendent of Police (SP) Kripa Shanker Singh said the 14-year-old girl of Janki Nagar locality was returning home on a bicycle after dropping her brother to school in the morning.
Sunil Tiwari, a constable presently posted at the Reserve Police Lines of Balrampur district and resident of the same locality, stopped the girl near an orchard, forcibly took her inside the orchard and raped her, the SP said.
Hearing the girl's screams, some locals rushed to the orchard to find a motorcycle and a bicycle parked there. They went inside the orchard and found the injured girl and the constable.
The accused tried to escape, but the people caught him and beat him up before the police arrived at the spot.
The SP said the constable had been arrested and Balrampur police informed. He had been sent to Utraula police station of Balrampur last evening to collect some documents. However, he did not go there and came to his native place in Gonda.
The girl is admitted in the district hospital where the doctors confirmed rape, Singh added.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held