Cops stop car for tinted glass, find gangrape victim inside
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
A short chase for what police thought was a car trying to flee because they had flagged it down for tinted windows, resulted in the rescue of a 25-year-old woman who had been gangraped by four men early on Thursday morning.
The four men — Shakil (23), Lajpatrai Sachdeva (38), Irshad (30) and Abid (21) — were arrested from the spot.
Police said around 3 am personnel at a picket in Swaroop Nagar, Northwest Delhi, flagged down a Hyundai Santro as its windows had tinted films. But, the driver broke the barricade and tried to speed away. Police, in a PCR van and on a motorcycle, chased the car for a kilometre and managed to bring it to a halt.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Sindhu Pillai said: "The vehicle had tinted glasses because of which our officials signalled them to stop. However, they broke a barricade and sped off. During their questioning, they said since the victim was in their car and it had tinted glass, they tried to flee."
In her statement to police, the woman said Shakil picked her up from her house in Rohini, and took her to his flat in Ashok Vihar. She said Shakil also invited his friends.
"The victim alleged that the accused served her a drink laced with sedatives and Shakil and his friends took turns to rape her when she was in a semi-conscious state," a police officer said.
The woman told police that later she was forced inside the car and the men were taking her to Rohini. "On finding a woman inside the car, the passengers were questioned. The woman alleged that the men had raped her," an officer said.
The men were detained and after the woman's medical examination confirmed rape, they were arrested.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet