Corporators launch renewed opposition to e-tendering
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
Corporators once again opposed Wednesday the new e-tendering system introduced by BMC to allot petty works contracts. They claimed despite winning bids, contractors were yet to begin work and had not even deposited security money because of technical issues in the new system.
They fear the delay would lead to a lapse by March 31 in money provided to councillors from the ward committee fund.
Shiv Sena corporator Krishna Vishwas Rao said, "Despite awarding tenders more than a month ago through the e-tendeing system, contractors in F-South and F-North wards are yet to deposit sums. The new technology is causing problems. At this rate, our funds will lapse as budget for 2013-2014 will soon be introduced."
Additional municipal commissioner Manisha Mhaiskar reiterated the stand of civic chief Sitaram Kunte that the e-tendering system would not be scrapped.
She said, "The municipal commissioner has already said strict action will be taken against contractors who do not begin work within three days of bagging tenders. If work continues to be lax, we will give the contract to unemployed engineers."
MNS corporator Sandip Deshpande said, "Before allowing bids, a security deposit must be taken from contractors. This way they will be forced to work." Mhaiskar said BMC was considering adding the condition.
Earlier this month, Kunte defended the new system saying it would bring transparency in tendering being allegedly controlled by a group of petty works contractors.
"We will not allow the contractors to have their way. The new system is to expedite work and is open to citizens if they want social audits. Of the 57 works put in the e-tendering system, 49 have been processed," he said.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'