Cristiano Ronaldo treble lifts Real to 5-1 win over Deportivo
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
Real Madrid will go into next weekend's La Liga 'Clasico' at Barcelona eight points behind their great rivals after Cristiano Ronaldo netted a hat-trick in a 5-1 comeback win at home to promoted Deportivo Coruna on Sunday.
Jose Mourinho's side fell behind to a Riki goal against the run of play in the 16th minute but the result was never in doubt after they stormed back to lead 3-1 at the break.
The victory continued their revival after a woeful start to their title defence - they have already lost twice, the same number of defeats in the whole of last season - and lifted them to sixth on 10 points from six matches.
Barca, who battled back from two goals down to win 3-2 at Sevilla on Saturday, have 18 points thanks to La Liga's only perfect record of six wins.
We were a bit asleep at the start but after we fell behind we woke up and played a good match, Ronaldo, whose treble was his 15th La Liga hat-trick for Real, told Spanish television.
We knew we couldn't afford to drop any more points and it was a very important win, he added.
We know Barcelona are a very difficult side and we are playing away but we have to be focused and concentrated and trust that we can produce a good performance and win.
Undefeated Atletico Madrid climbed above Malaga into second on 16 points when Raul Garcia's 30th-minute header was enough for a 1-0 victory at bottom side Espanyol in Sunday's late game.
Malaga, who are also undefeated and have 14 points, thumped 10-man Real Betis 4-0 on Saturday.
After Riki's early strike at the Bernabeu, Real were level within seven minutes when Angel Di Maria dashed in from the left and was felled by Manuel Pablo on the edge of the area.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations