CRPF overall winners in Police Games
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
With dominating performances in each sport it entered, paramilitary force, CRPF emerged as the overall champion in the 61st All India Police Games. CRPF topped the tally with 82 medals, including 26 golds at the event which concluded on Tuesday.
The CRPF were followed by Haryana police, who had 16 gold medals and Punjab police were third with nine gold medals.
Mayank Srivastava of the CRPF was adjudged the 'best all rounder' at the meet which included competitions like wrestling, weightlifting, judo, gymnastics and boxing championships. The meet was ceremonially brought to close by Union Minister of State for Home Affairs M Ramachandran.
The sportsmen of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) lapped up the first position in the maximum events including wrestling (men-greco roman and free style) and Judo (women)where the personnel of the force defeated the nearest rival SSB by 33 points.
The five-day long championship was attended by about 1600 sportspersons from 23 state police forces and central police forces like CRPF, CISF, SSB, ITBP and BSF.
During the event, CRPF chief Pranay Sahay said he would request the Union Home Ministry to grant required relaxations in ensuring recruitment of talented sportspersons in the central forces.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet