Cup of tea with cucumber sandwich 'best way to keep cool
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Having a cup of tea with a cucumber sandwich is the ideal way to cool off in a heat wave, say scientists.
According to the researchers, however tempting ice creams may be, they will not work to beat the heat.
Even water should be drunk at room temperature rather than ice cold during the hottest days of the year, the 'Daily Mail' reported.
While the British colonial favourite of cucumber sandwiches works best during summer, the crust free, white bread versions served in posh hotels and tea rooms, do not seem to work best.
Instead, having them on whole wheat bread with a `slab' of mayonnaise and sea salt on top works best, said food industry experts at the American Chemical Society (ACS) annual meeting.
Fruit and vegetables with high water content are particularly good for hot weather, which includes cucumber but also watermelon and celery.
Foods with grain are good for the body because they keep the body topped up with magnesium and calcium, preventing cramps in the heat.
The key, said ACS researcher Sara Risch, is to lower the body's in built thermostat to withstand the heat, avoid dehydration and retain vital minerals and vitamins.
"Though the temptation is great, it is probably best to avoid anything that is too cold from ice cream to icy drinks, including lager but even iced water," said Risch.
This is because it cools down the part of the body it comes into contact with but this sends other parts of the body into shock so they close down and the body stops cooling down.
Hot drinks work though there is some debate over the effects of caffeine. However the tannins in tea, and in wine too are a good cooling agent for the body.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow