Dalit boy commits suicide on Etah school campus 'after police harassment'
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
A Class XII student of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya in Etah allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree inside the school campus on Tuesday morning.
Students alleged that Raj Kumar, a Dalit, ended his life after the police and school authorities thrashed him while questioning him in connection with the disappearance of a student on Monday.
Students held a demonstration inside the campus, damaged furniture and demanded suspension of the accused persons. However, the police and school administration pacified the agitated students.
In the evening, on the basis of a complaint from Ashish Yadav, a student, the police lodged an FIR against principal RP Sharma, teacher Beena and Station Officer of Rijaur police station Subodh Kumar on the charges of causing hurt, insult, abetment of suicide, and SC/ST Atrocities Act.
Additional Superintendent of Police RM Bhardwaj said they found a note fixed on the door of the hostel warden which, according to students, was Raj's suicide note.
The note, purportedly written by Raj, said that the principal, a teacher and the station officer of Raijaur police station had thrashed and abused him after Shivam, a class XII student, went missing on Monday morning.
The police questioned students and, later in the evening, found Shivam at the house of a friend's relative.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held