Dalit girl sexually assaulted even as protests rage pan-India over Delhi gangrape
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Even as protests over the gruesome Delhi gangrape raged across the country and police on guard to prevent such occurrences, yet nothing seems to be helping in stopping criminal elements having their way with unwary, unsuspecting women.
A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by 10 persons for nine days in Karnataka's Hassan district.
Seven of the accused have been arrested.
The girl was allegedly raped at various places in the district by the accused, who brought her to the town from Magge village in Alur taluk promising her employment, Superintendent of Police Amith Singh said over phone.
The ten sexually exploited the girl in turns from December 19 to December 27. The gang then dumped her in Hassan yesterday after which she approached an NGO for women, which immediately alerted police.
Singh said the police constituted three teams to trace the accused and seven have been held.
"We are looking for more suspects. They will also be arrested soon. All the arrested have been subjected to medical examination," he said.
The seven arrested, including an auto rickshaw driver, would be produced before a local court tomorrow, he said.
Meanwhile, former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, who is a Lok Sabha member from Hassan, has demanded exemplary punishment to the accused.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow