Dance like Maharaj
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
He dregs memories of early 20th century Lucknow. Dancing was in the family. His father, Achhan Maharaj belonged to the Kalka Bindadin gharana and Maharaj became the torchbearer, naturally. A small house in a narrow Lucknow lane used to reverberate with the tinkle of ghungroos. "My father used to be happy and would tell my amma 'Ladka bohot leyadaar hai (The boy is extremely rhythmic).' I just kept dancing," says Maharaj, who became a guru at nine after his father passed away. He also trained, under his uncles, Shambhu Maharaj and Lachhu Maharaj.
While still in school, Maharaj would write the bols of Kathak in his notebooks, instead of class notes. He moved to Delhi to teach young girls at Sangeet Bharti, Mandi House. "After that, dance was life," says Maharaj.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’