Dancing with the Stars
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 5
Saturday and Sunday, 9 pm
What's it about? The Indian version of the popular UK dance series Strictly Come Dancing, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa is in its fifth season this year. The show rounds up several celebrities and semi-celebrities who train with professional dancers for partners and then compete with each other for the title and the Rs 50 lakh prize. However, unlike the original series where ballroom and Latin dances form the focus, the Indian version concentrates on film songs and themed performances. The show has been popular since its debut in 2006 on Sony Entertainment Television and has seen acclaimed personalities such as Farah Khan, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shilpa Shetty, Juhi Chawla and Malaika Arora Khan as judges.
Who's in it? The three judges this year form the show's highlight — actress and dancing diva Madhuri Dixit, choreographer Remo D'Souza and, surprisingly, filmmaker Karan Johar.
The show has 13 as opposed to the usual 12 contestants this year. They are a mix of members from the entertainment industry. Giaa Manek (Gopi Bahu), Pratyusha Banerjee or Balika Vadhu's Anandi, veteran Jayati Bhatia, comedian Bharti Singh and Gurmeet Choudhary, who is currently the lead actor in Punar Vivaah, are the television brigade. VJs Archana Vijaya and Shibani Dandekar bring in the glam factor along with film actress and danseuse Isha Sharvani. There are also ghazal singer Talat Aziz, actor Ravi Kishan and child actor Darsheel Safary. Sri Lankan cricketer Sanath Jayasuriya and Kaun Banega Crorepati 5 winner Sushil Kumar look like outsiders in the entertainment-dominated sphere. Manish Paul and Ragini Khanna will play hosts.
What's hot? While Dixit and D'Souza were also judges on the previous season, the show's makers have pulled off a casting coup with Johar on board. The episodes on the opening weekend were grand with massive sets, like those in award functions. Other celebrities introduced the contestants with a mini performance. For example, Malaika Khan accompanied Bharti, Ayushmann Khurrana came with Vijaya and Dandekar and Harbhajan Singh was Jayasuriya's pal. The second episode opened with a laudable performance by Dixit and D'Souza, with a few moves thrown in by Johar too. Judging by the content of the first two episodes, the makers have ample antics planned out to keep the viewers hooked. Bharti, with her surprisingly good performance and comic sense, is a contestant to watch out for. A trained dancer, Sharvani is pleasant to watch. Jayasuriya and Aziz are both terrible performers.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'