Danica Patrick becomes first woman to win Nascar Pole
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Top Nascar driver and model Danica Patrick has become the first woman to achieve pole position for a cup race. She covered the 2.5 mile super speedway in Florida's Daytona Beach in 45.817 seconds, averaging 196.4mph.
According to Sky News, the winning time secured Patrick's entry to the prestigious Daytona 500 that is next week. Patrick, who is one of Nascar's most high-profile stars, said that winning the pole was a really big deal because qualifying for the Daytona 500 is a really interesting thing.
She had to wait for around two hours as 37 fellow drivers tried to take her spot. Only four-time champion Jeff Gordon came close, and won the only other guaranteed spot in the season-opening race.
Patrick was considered the front-runner for pole position after turning in the fastest laps in practice on Saturday, the report said. The previous highest female qualifier in a cup race was Janet Guthrie. She started ninth in two races in 1977, it added
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow