Dara Singh case, Naomi Campbell, Rushdie hog limelight in Rajasthan
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Imperious Azhar Mahmood powers KXIP to 183
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- 5 differently abled orphan girls beaten, raped in Jaipur residential school
Rajasthan saw a slew of initiatives, significant developments in the Dara Singh encounter case, an extravagant birthday party hosted by supermodel Naomi Campbell for her boyfriend and a controversy surrounding the Jaipur Literature Festival over the visit of author Salman Rushdie in 2012.
On the political front, both Congress and BJP witnessed some infighting but were able to ride over the crises.
Trouble began in the BJP when MLA Gulab Chand Kataria decided to take out rallies in the state. Vasundhara Raje opposed it and threatened to quit the party if the plan was not dropped. Next day, over 30 MLAs met Raje and offered to resign expressing faith in her leadership. However, the issue ended with the intervention of the party's senior leadership and Kataria also withdrawing his plan.
In the ruling Congress, a section of MLAs met the party's high command and accused Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot of sidelining them. However, Gehlot succeeded in regaining their confidence.
Ajmer was in news when the Supreme Court granted bail to octogenarian Pakistani scientist Khalil Chisti in a two- decade-old murder case and set him free in December.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari paid obeisance at the Ajmer dargah of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti and announced USD one million for the shrine, but the payment was delayed.
The year began on a controversial note over Rushdie's proposed visit to the Jaipur Literature Festival. The author was invited by the organisers of the annual literary event but it was strongly opposed by Muslims. Rushdie finally did not turn up and blamed the state government for his failed visit.
The first quarter of the year saw the surrender of absconding 1978-batch senior IPS officer A K Jain and subsequent arrest of Opposition BJP MLA Rajendra Rathore in
connection with the infamous Dara Singh fake encounter case. Rathore's arrest triggered stiff opposition from BJP which accused the government of falsely implicating him.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations