Dead TMC worker’s wife says party MLA behind murder
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
A day after a Trinamool Congress worker was killed allegedly in police custody, his wife Manuja Begum claimed that some powerful TMC leaders, including TMC MLA Ashima Patra, have conspired with the police to kill her husband.
TMC MLA of Dhaniakhali Ashima Patra, however, could not be contacted after several attempts.
Begum said she said she will meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and will narrate to her the entire incident.
TMC zilla sabhapati Tapan Dasgupta said they would meet TMC general secretary Mukul Roy on Monday to discuss the issue.
On Saturday, Kazi Naseeruddin, a local Trinamool leader, who was arrested on Friday, reportedly died in police custody at the Dhaniakhali police station.
According to Sabeer Ali, a relative of the victim and a Trinamool leader, he saw Naseeruddin lying naked and motionless, surrounded by several policemen, when he went to the station during the day. He said both of them had a heated argument with police constable Amit Dey and after that Naseeruddin died in the police cell.
After the news of Naseeruddin's death spread, people came out on the streets protesting the incident. A large number of police personnel had to be deployed to control the situation.
Superintendent of Police Tanmay Roychaudhury said an FIR had been registered and investigations were on. "Whether the death was caused due to beating or not can only be ascertained after the post mortem examination," he said, adding that several police personnel were also injured in the violence.
State Congress spokesman Abdul Mannan alleged that it was a "pre-meditated" murder. "Naseeruddin was disillusioned with the Trinamool and was thinking of quitting it. He has been killed in a pre-planned manner by his own party men," Manna claimed.
On the other hand, MLA Ashima Patra admitted that the victim was an active party worker and said she had asked the police to conduct an impartial investigation.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held