Death row convict in Rajiv Gandhi killing gets gold medal in diploma
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Death row convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case Perarivalan has won gold medal in one of the Prison Department conducted educational and vocational training programmes.
Perarivalan, lodged in Vellore Central Prision, has come
first and "bagged the gold medal" in Diploma in Desk Top
Publishing Operator course, one of the training programmes conducted in association with the Mahatma Gandhi Community College and the Tamil Nadu Open university, a Prison Department release said here today.
Besides Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan have also been
awarded death sentence for their role in the assassination of Gandhi in 1991. All the three have challenged the rejection of their mercy petitions by the President and the matter is pending before the Supreme Court.
Gold medals were also awarded in Diploma courses in
Catering Assistant, Four-wheeler Mechanism, Desk Top
Publishing Operator and House Electrician.
The release said 175 out of the 185 prison inmates who had appeared for various courses passed the exams conducted in January 2012.
The courses were being conducted to "improve the employment and self-employment opportunities for prisoners towards rehabilitation," it said.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet