Delhi gangrape: 'African woman pushed Rwandan into rapists’ car'
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
An African woman allegedly "helped" a man and his three friends abduct, gangrape and rob a 25-year-old Rwandan refugee on December 1 in North Delhi's Timarpur area, police said.
Police sources said the other woman did so to escape the main accused, who was initially targeting her at a market in Gandhi Vihar.
The victim, who has applied for refugee status in India, told police that she was returning home from the Gandhi Vihar market around 7.30 pm when a visibly drunk man alighted from a Santro and approached another African woman near by.
"I was standing behind that woman. Suddenly, she pushed me into the car and the man inside the vehicle pulled me in," she told police.
Police said the men gagged and took her to Shyam Ghat in Jagatpur of North Delhi. On the way, the duo picked up two of their friends, who were waiting on a bike.
The woman alleged that the men gangraped her in the car, pulled her out of the vehicle and raped her again at a secluded place on the Yamuna bank.
"They bundled the woman back in the car and dumped her half-a-kilometre away from her residence. They took away her cellphone and purse," the officer said.
She and her brother arrived in India in July and were staying in Malviya Nagar before shifting to North Delhi. Her brother, who works night shifts, was out and she didn't have her phone to contact him.
Police said a neighbour took her to the police station. The woman alleged that the on-duty officer at the station refused to file an FIR, saying "a case will be registered only after investigations".
On December 3, an NGO took up the woman's case and a medical examination confirmed rape.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held