Delhi Gangrape: Five accused to be produced in court tomorrow
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Taking cognizance of the chargesheet filed in the gangrape and torture of a 23-year-old woman who later died in a Singapore hospital, a Delhi court today ordered that the five men arrested in the case be produced in court on Monday.
Metropolitan magistrate Namrita Aggarwal said a case of offences including gangrape and murder was made out against the accused. She ordered issue of summons and production warrants for Monday.
The sixth accused in the case is said to be a juvenile and police have said they will seek an ossification test. If it is proved that he is not a juvenile, he will be charged in a regular court. As of now, his case is likely to come up before the juvenile justice board.
Cognizance of the chargesheet against the five — Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh and their friends Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur — was taken after the prosecution told the court they had gathered evidence against the accused.
"I have perused the chargesheet and other documents. Prima facie offence under sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gangrape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) of the IPC is made out against all the accused. I issue summons/production warrants to all five accused for January 7," the metropolitan magistrate said.
Additional public prosecutor Rajiv Mohan told the court that the victim's death summary received from the Mount Elizabeth hospital in Singapore — she died there on December 29 — cited septicaemia and multiple organ failure as the cause of death.
According to Mohan, offences of dacoity, murder, causing hurt during dacoity and attempt to murder are made out on the basis of statements of the victim, connecting witnesses, the DNA report and the death summary.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow