Delhi gangrape: Protestors bludgeon constable almost to death at India Gate
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A Delhi Police Constable was tonight battling for life after he was severely beaten up near India Gate by protesters who had gathered to demand security for women in the capital in the wake of last week's gang-rape incident.
On a day hooligans took over and violence erupted in India Gate in which 78 policemen and 65 protesters were injured, police fired 250 teargas shells, repeatedly used water jets and resorted to baton charge.
Among the 78 policemen injured were Joint Commissioner (Central) Taj Hasan, Additional Commissioner (New Delhi) K C Dwivedi, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) B S Jaiswal and Additional Deputy Commissioner (New Delhi) Sanjay Tyagi.
"Constable Subhash Tomar is fighting for his life at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital," Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told PTI. Tomar is posted at Karawal Nagar police station.
Tomar was beaten up at Tilak Marg near India Gate in the evening by "hooligans among protesters", Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), said. "He is critical. He sank thrice but was revived by doctors. He is now on ventilator," the Special Commissioner said.
He said at least 25 vehicles -- 12 DTC buses, 12 PCR vans and a Doordarshan vehicle -- were damaged.
"We cleared India Gate completely by 5:30 pm," he said, adding the barricades erected by PWD for Republic Day celebrations next month were damaged by protesters.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held