Delhi gangrape: Brutal juvenile gets tagged as 'minor' by school principal, may evade harsh punishment for heinous crime
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
The school principal of the juvenile accused in the December 16 gangrape case today submitted before a Juvenile Justice Board that as per the school records he is 17 years and six months old.
The present and the former headmasters of the school in Bhawanipur at Badaun in Uttar Pradesh, where the juvenile had studied till Class III, appeared before the Board presided over by Principal Magistrate Geetanjali Goel and told her that they cannot identify the boy but know that he took admission in the school in 2002.
The former principal said during the time of admission, the boy's father had come to admit him and mentioned his date of birth as June 4, 1995.
He further told the court that they never ask the parents to give the child's birth certificate as age proof during the time of admission in the school.
"We take this as the official record and later on follow the same throughout the academic session, so it could not be doubted," the Principal said.
Taking note of the submissions made by both the school Principals, the court has now fixed January 28 as the next date of hearing in the case.
The legal aid counsel for the juvenile advocate Rajesh Tiwari, however, told media persons outside the court that on the next date of hearing in the case the Board will hear arguments to decide the age of the juvenile and will thereafter give its verdict whether he is a major or minor.
The principals appeared before the Board as they were asked to be personally present with all the documents pertaining to his age after the police had raised doubts over his school certificates.
The juvenile accused, however, was not produced before the Board comprising three members.
While the juvenile accused is at present lodged in the juvenile home, the other five adult co-accused are lodged in Tihar jail and are being prosecuted in Saket district court.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow