Do not reject any education loan: RBI
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
The Reserve Bank today asked banks not to reject any educational loan application even if the residence of the borrower does not fall under their service area.
"... banks are advised not to reject any educational loan application for reasons that the residence of the borrower does not fall under the bank's service area," RBI said in a notification today.
RBI has further asked the banks to issue suitable instructions to their branches or controlling offices for meticulous and strict compliance in this regard.
The apex bank issued the notification in view of number of complaints where students were refused educational loan as the residence of the student does not fall under the bank's service area.
It also said that the service area norms should be followed only in the cases of government sponsored schemes.
In the financial year ended March 31, 2012, banks' gross credit towards education loan was at Rs 502 billion from Rs 437 billion in the previous fiscal, as per the RBI data.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow