Dodsal storm into Nadkarni Cup final
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
Debutants Dodsal FC served a very strong statement to the top flight football teams in the city that they prepared to the challenge the best.
The newly formed club, coached by the redoubtable and seasoned Bimal Ghosh, scored an authoritative 7-0 victory against a disorganised Western Railway in a semi-final clash of the MDFA RCF Nadkarni Cup Football Tournament being played at the RCF Sports Complex ground, Chembur on Monday evening.
Strikers Mohd Rafi and Demba Diakhate fired home two goals each, while skipper Paresh Shivalkar, N.P. Pradeep and Bikash Jairu scored one each to complete the rout for Dodsal, who enjoyed a commanding 4-0 lead at the end of the first half. Comprising of several former internationals and national players in their ranks, Dodsal showed great touch and excellent coordination to gain total dominance over the proceedings. Western showed promise at the start and managed a couple of attempts at the rival before Dodsal went into overdrive to knock the fight out of the railmen, who struggled to keep things tight at the back.
Rafi showed that he still possesses the hunger for goals and opened the floodgates in the 13th minute. Right wing half Jairu made a darting run down the flank and sent in a précises low cross, which eluded the charge of goalkeeper Lalith Parmar and left Rafi with the simple task of a tap in.
Having drawn first blood, Dodsal continued to make forays towards the rival citadel and nine minutes later Rafi set up Nigerian recruit Demba for the second goal. Later Rafi and Dembe scored one more goal each as Dodsal went into the breather in a strong position.
Not prepared to relax the pace Dodsal added three more goals in the second period, through Shivalkar, Pradeep and Jairu to finish off in style. Dodsal will take on the winners of Tuesday's second-semi-final between Central Railway and Mumbai Customs, in Thursday's final at 3.00 pm.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'