Domestic car sales jump 23% in Oct
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Rival Hyundai Motor India Ltd clocked 35,722 units as against 32,811 units in October 2011, up 8.87 per cent, while Tata Motors sales stood at 16,444 units compared to 20,948 units in the year-ago month, down 21.5 per cent.
Utility vehicles (UV) segment saw a surge in domestic sales at 53,285 units, up 87.74 per cent from last year. The growth was led-by Mahindra & Mahindra with its UV sales in October this year registering 49.9 per cent growth at 25,379 units as compared to 16,938 units in the same month last year.
As per the SIAM data, domestic motorcycle sales last month went up by 6.71 per cent to 9,36,122 units from 8,77,270 units in the same month previous year.
Hero MotoCorp's (HMC) domestic bike sales in October were marginally down at 4,59,203 units from last year.
Rival Bajaj Auto clocked 2,61,771 units, a growth of 7.06 per cent, while that of Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) had a sales of 1,11,235 units, an increase of 69.4 per cent from the October last year.
Total scooter sales during the month under review stood at 2,79,427 units as against 2,11,068 units in October 2011, up 32.39 per cent.
HMSI led the growth in scooter sales at 1,24,827 units, up 17.59 per cent from last year, while that of HMC stood at 56,039 units, an increase of 71.69 per cent.
"Sales of scooters have been driven mainly from urban demand and we are seeing good traction in the segment. We are also seeing a trend of lot of women buyers," Mathur said.
The three-wheeler segment saw sales increase by 55,241 units in October this year, up 12.58 per cent.
SIAM said the total two-wheeler sales in October 2012 rose by 12.26 per cent to 12,85,015 units from 11,44,716 in October 2011.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'