Donít give mobiles to girls, says BSP MP
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Rajpal Singh Saini has sparked a controversy by saying girls should not be given mobile phones.
"Don't give mobile phones to children, especially girls. I say this at all the places where I make my speeches. And if any of these kids have a mobile, take them away. What are they missing anyway? What are girls missing without mobiles," the Rajya Sabha MP said in an address to BSP workers in Muzaffarnagar Sunday night.
"Our mothers, sisters, did they die when there were no mobiles in their time."
Saini also reportedly told a man, who sought his help in finding his daughter, that the mobile phone was the main cause for her elopement.
Saini's comments come months after a panchayat in Baghpat banned love marriages and barred women below 40 from going shopping and using mobile phones outside their homes.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'