Down To Earth
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
The Rose Festival is over and I am sure those participants who won prizes would be elated and those who didn't might be a tad disappointed. Indeed, there were narrow margins at some places. In certain cases, where it was felt that a bloom or exhibit could get a prize, it lost due to a minor reason. For example, a good bloom of carnation in "cut flower" category lost because the calyx (the cup of scales that holds petals) had split open. Similarly, a deserving set of rose blooms in the "hybrid" category was neck-to-neck in competition with another exhibit, but lost because some of its petals showed blemishes. At the time of display, one should do some dressing or correction of the exhibits so that it gives a better performance. For those looking for another try, the Spring Fest, the annual flower show at Panchkula is round the corner. So, here's wishing those participating the best of luck.
Due to rains, my plants of winter annuals are all spread out and seem to have fallen. What can I do? Will they give flowers?
The winter annuals fall because of rain, especially when it is followed by winds. But most of the time, they recover once the sun comes out. The wind at this time has not been too damaging and the plants will definitely recover.
My dahlia is in bud form at the moment. There are about 10 days to the forthcoming flower show. Will I be able to participate or will it be over by then? What is the main character that is seen in dahlia cut flower?
Sukhbir Singh, Panchkula
In all probability, your bloom will be at its best at that time. In dahlia, the foremost thing to see is that its centre should not be open. Rare coloured, big and blemish-free exhibition Blooms are an advantage. Make sure the blooms do not carry aphids.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’