EC bans PDS bags with Atal Bihari Vajpayee photo
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL spot-fixing case: Delhi Police to trace money trail in four cities
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians bowl, Sachin Tendulkar misses out
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- 5 differently abled orphan girls beaten, raped in Jaipur residential school
The Election Commission on Sunday banned the Himachal Pradesh government from distributing free PDS bags carrying photographs of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Henceforth, no bags will be issued to the consumers of public distribution system with a picture of any political leader, of whatever stature he/she is, said Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath.
Sampath was here to review election preparedness ahead of the November 4 Assembly polls in the state.
Minutes after Sampath's announcement Chief Secretary Sudripta Roy confirmed bags with Vajpayee's photographs have been withdrawn. "Necessary orders have been passed," he said.
Himachal has 16 lakh ration card holders. The BJP government in the state launched a scheme on August 15 under which a free jute bag was to be provided to every ration card holder in a month for procuring goods. The bag prominently carries Vajpayee's photo.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations