EC seizes Rs 9.3 crore in Mehsana
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
The election Commision's Static Surveillance Team (SST) on Wednesday seized Rs 9.3 crore from a private security agency vehicle near a toll plaza in Mehsana district, a senior officer said.
"The amount was being carried in the cash van of Checkmate security agency. However, the official of the agency accompanying the van could not produce adequate documents to support his case," Mehsana District Collector Rajkumar Beniwal said.
"The money was withdrawn from ICICI Bank in Ahmedabad and was being taken to its various branches," he said.
On Tuesday, the EC squad had seized unaccountable money to the tune of Rs 5 lakh from the director of Agriculture Producers Marketing Committee (APMC) at Khedbrehma in Sabarkantha district and Rs 70 lakh from Vijapur taluka on Himmatnagar-Mehsana Road on Monday, sources said.
The Election Commission is maintaining strict vigilance in all the 182 constituencies in the state ahead of Assembly elections slated for December 13 and 17.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM