Eight Dalit-huts set ablaze over eve-teasing incident
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
- Spot-Fixing: Sreesanth reveals bookies lured India players with cars, women
- Jagan Reddy case: Accused Andhra ministers Sabitha, Dharmana Rao resign
An irate mob set ablaze eight huts in a Dalit colony at Pacharapalayam village of the district today following a clash between two groups, triggered by an eve-teasing incident.
Seven Dalits suffered injuries, out of which three were injured in the clash and four sustained burn injuries, officials said.
The clash occurred between members of caste Hindus and Dalits as a group of youths from the latter allegedly used to regularly tease a non-Dalit girl, Vadalur Inspector T Balakrishnan said.
Twelve persons, six from either side, have been arrested he said, adding, police are searching for over 60 other accused.
Police are maintaining tight vigil in the area, Cuddalore Sub-Collector Lalitha told reporters here.
Meanwhile, over 300 activists of the Dalit-based Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi blocked the Cudddalore-Puducherry road demanding arrest of those involved in the attack on the Dalit colony.
Recently on November 7, some 268 houses were torched, 54 vehicles destroyed, jewels and valuables looted in violence unleashed allegedly by caste Hindus on some Dalit colonies in Dharmapuri district after a man committed suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit man.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'