Eight Dalit-huts set ablaze over eve-teasing incident
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
An irate mob set ablaze eight huts in a Dalit colony at Pacharapalayam village of the district today following a clash between two groups, triggered by an eve-teasing incident.
Seven Dalits suffered injuries, out of which three were injured in the clash and four sustained burn injuries, officials said.
The clash occurred between members of caste Hindus and Dalits as a group of youths from the latter allegedly used to regularly tease a non-Dalit girl, Vadalur Inspector T Balakrishnan said.
Twelve persons, six from either side, have been arrested he said, adding, police are searching for over 60 other accused.
Police are maintaining tight vigil in the area, Cuddalore Sub-Collector Lalitha told reporters here.
Meanwhile, over 300 activists of the Dalit-based Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi blocked the Cudddalore-Puducherry road demanding arrest of those involved in the attack on the Dalit colony.
Recently on November 7, some 268 houses were torched, 54 vehicles destroyed, jewels and valuables looted in violence unleashed allegedly by caste Hindus on some Dalit colonies in Dharmapuri district after a man committed suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit man.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM