Election day firing: Gujarat BJP MLA held for murder bid
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Jetha Bharwad, BJP MLA from Shehra in the Panchmahals, was arrested Friday after a court rejected his anticipatory bail plea in connection with the poll day firing that injured four persons.
Bharwad had allegedly fired his bodyguard's gun near a poll booth at Tarsang village in his constituency on December 17. The court rejected his bail plea primarily on the grounds that prima facie there was evidence against him, prosecutor A A Hasan said.
"The court also noted that three of the four injured were still in critical condition," said Hasan, adding that while rejecting the anticipatory bail plea, the judge noted that none of the four injured belonged to any political party.
Godhra SP Sachin Badshah said Bharwad was arrested on charges of attempt to murder and possession of arms after his bail plea was rejected.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet