Emergency-like situation in state, says Zadaphia
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Attacking the Narendra Modi government over alleged "misuse of power", MahaGujarat Janata Party (MJP) president Gordhan Zadaphia today said people in the state were experiencing an "undeclared emergency-like situation", and hoped that "change will be seen soon".
Zadaphia was here to take stock of preparations for the 84th birthday celebrations of former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel at Varachha.
"The present environment in the state brings back memories when Indira Gandhi announced Emergency in 1975, and many political leaders were arrested and sent to jail. The government changed after 22 months and Morarji Desai became Prime Minister. A similarly undeclared emergency-like situation is seen in Gujarat and people are living under fear. Change will definitely come soon and Gujarat will get new options and new direction...."
He alleged that the government had misused its machinery to create obstacles in the Keshubhai's public meeting at Bhavnagar, "but we remained firm and told police officials that in a democratic country everybody had got right to object and express his own views".
"We will celebrate his birthday in a grand way and for that we are looking for a big ground where over one lakh people can assemble," he said.
Apart from MJP leaders, Kashiram Rana, Sanat Mehta, Kanu Kalsaria, businessmen from different sectors and dignitaries from different communities will attend the function, he said.
"We will also organise a public meeting in Ahmedabad in the first week of August where MJP leaders and Keshubhai's supporters will remain present. On that day, Keshubhai will formally announce his merger with the MJP and formation of the third front," he added.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held