Emkay Global stock tanks 10%
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
The company scrip, which had opened on a positive note, went into a tailspin and fell 9.86 per cent on the BSE to touch the lower circuit limit of Rs 31.10.
At the NSE, the stock plunged 10 per cent to Rs 31.05.
The National Stock Exchange index Nifty crashed 800 points this morning, halting the trade, which the bourse blamed on erroneous orders worth Rs 650 crore by a broker Emkay Global for one of its clients.
In a statement after the incident, which halted the trade in cash markets for about 15 minutes, NSE said, "The market circuit filter got triggered due to entry of 59 erroneous orders which resulted in multiple trades for an aggregate value of over Rs 650 crore.
"These orders have been entered by a trading member Emkay Global Financial Services on behalf of an institutional client.
"These non-algo market orders have been entered for an erroneous quantity which resulted in executing trades at multiple price points across the entire order book thereby causing the circuit filter to be triggered. These orders have been identified to a specific dealer terminal," it added.
The exchange further said, Emkay has closed out the positions arising out of erroneous trades smoothly and the member has been disabled from trading.
Nifty had fallen this morning by about 800 points or 16 per cent to a low of 4,997.6.
NSE said the market opened normally today and Nifty opened at 5,815. Nifty circuit filter got triggered at 9.50.58 hours upon which the cash market was closed automatically.
It also impacted the price movements of the BSE index Sensex, leading to its steep fall.
At 1304 hrs, the stock markets recovered some of the lost ground and Nifty was trading at 5,747.50, down 40.10 points. The Sensex was down 112.67 points at 18,945.48.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held