Encounters probe: STF to call Javed Akhtar, others
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
The Special Task Force (STF) formed under the instructions of the Supreme Court to probe 22 encounter killings in Gujarat will issue notices to lyricist and poet Javed Akhtar and veteran journalist BG Verghese who had filed a petition in the apex court in 2007 seeking a probe into all encounter killings in the state since 2002.
A senior official from the STF said the agency would send notices to the petitioners and kith and kin of the victims on Wednesday, asking them to appear before it in Gandhinagar.
"Personal notices would be sent to Javed Akhtar and BG Verghese tomorrow. Notices would also be sent to all the co-petitioners in the case, asking them to come and share the details," he said, adding they would be asked to choose a date next month as per their convenience.
Last month, Justice (retired) H S Bedi, who heads the monitoring committee to supervise the STF probe, had postponed his meeting with STF members.
The meeting is now scheduled for July 19.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'