Enertainment tax hike rolled back, multiplexes relieved
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
A week after the Maharashtra cabinet hiked entertainment tax for multiplexes in the state, it has been rolled back to 45%.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday denied any lobbying by multiplex owners behind the move. "The 45% tax is already high and the decision to hike it is likely to hurt smaller multiplexes. Hence the decision has been taken back," said Chavan.
Last week, the cabinet had okayed the revenue department's proposal to charge 49.5% to 54% entertainment tax for tickets costing Rs 250 to over Rs 500. The decision was aimed at discouraging multiplex owners from increasing ticket prices arbitrarily.
However, the decision to waive entertainment tax for single-screen theatres in municipal councils for five years and rural areas for seven years stays.
Along with the hike in entertainment tax, the cabinet last week allowed multiplexes to levy higher service charges from customers.
Dr Sunil Patil of PVR cinemas said it is a welcome move as the hike would have led to double taxation. "Maharashtra levies the highest entertainment tax in the country. The surcharge would have hurt the industry," said Patil.
A multiplex industry representative said a day after the last cabinet meeting, Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat and the CM had a meeting where it was discussed that the hike would mean double taxation and the decision be reviewed. "Eventually, they decided against it," the official said.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'