Swiss woman 'gangraped' in MP, husband beaten up
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A Swiss woman was reportedly gangraped at a secluded spot near Datia town, about 75 kilometres from Gwalior, late on Friday night.
The victim and her husband were on a cycling trip from Orchha to Agra. On Friday, the couple had pitched a tent in Jhadia village, about 300 metres off the main road, to spend the night. At around 8:30 pm, a group of eight men reportedly attacked the tourists. Four of them reportedly raped the 39-year-old woman. Her husband, 29, was beaten up. The couple was also robbed of their laptop, Rs 10,000 and other valuables.
The couple lodged a complaint at the police station in Datia town at around 11 pm. The victim was taken to a government hospital in Gwalior, where medical examination confirmed rape.
DIG D K Arya said the couple had arrived in Mumbai on March 13, and planned to tour India on their bicycles. He said the accused were carrying sticks and at least one gun. While a dozen suspects have been detained, police said the victim has not identified any of them.
Saying it was "most distressed", the Swiss embassy said its ambassador had contacted the victim. "Their health and treatment is the priority... The embassy has also been in touch with the local authorities and has requested swift investigation," it said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow