Ex-BBC presenter Michael Souter charged with child sex abuse
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
A former BBC presenter has been charged with sexually abusing children, although it was not related to the ongoing Jimmy Savile investigations, British police said.
Norfolk Police said Michael Souter, a former presenter for BBC Radio Norfolk in eastern England, had been charged with 18 offences against boys, one offence against a man and one against a woman.
The alleged offences date back to between 1979 and 1999.
A spokesman for the force said the charges were not connected to Operation Yewtree, the Scotland Yard investigation into the late BBC star Jimmy Savile who is now accused of sexually abusing hundreds of children over four decades.
Souter, 59, is due to appear before Norwich Magistrates' Court in Norfolk on November 30.
The former radio presenter, who now runs a media consultancy, issued a statement "strenuously" denying the allegations.
"This is the third time that Norfolk Police have investigated these alleged offences," he said.
"On both previous occasions, the Crown Prosecution Service advised against making charges." He added that the current investigation against him started two years ago.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held