Ex-constable among 6 held for gunrunning
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
A former constable of Central Reserve Police Force was among six persons arrested in a gunrunning racket on Thursday. Ravinder Kumar (28), police said, was removed from CRPF after a criminal case was filed against him in Haryana.
Police said Ravinder, Satish Kumar (25), Vinod Kumar (28), Jitender (35), Anil (24) and Raju (34) were arrested and six sophisticated weapons were recovered from them. A Tata Indigo car and a stolen motorcycle were also seized.
"Given the rising trend of using illegal arms and ammunition in snatching and robberies, we had launched an extensive drive to apprehend criminals. On Tuesday, information was received that four people, involved in illicit arm trafficking, would come to Southwest Delhi in the evening. During checking, four of the accused were apprehended while they were inside the Indigo car. They had sophisticated weapons with them," Additional Commissioner of Police (Southwest) A K Ojha said.
Their questioning led to the arrest of the other two. "They used to procure weapons from Meerut, UP, and sell them in Haryana and Delhi at high prices," Ojha said.
(Ifrah Mufti is a student of Express Institute of Media Studies)
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow