Express Money: Ask Us
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
We wish to book a flat in my name. My father and I are planning to avoid a home loan at this point of time. Can the retirement benefits (PF, gratuity, leave encashment) of my father, who is due for retirement, be used for making payments towards the cost of my flat? If yes, will there be any tax liability either on me or my father?
There are exemptions in all retirement benefits. However, there maybe limits on this exemption depending on individual situations. PF is completely exempted from tax as of now irrespective of any situation. If your father is a Central or state government employee or a defense employee or an employee in local authority, then all his retirement benefits are exempted from any tax liability. If however, this is not the case then the following rules apply. In the case of gratuity payment, exemption will be limited to half a month's salary, (on the basis of the average salary drawn in the last 10 months) for each completed year of service or Rs 3.5 lakh whichever is less. In the case of leave encashment, the exemption is limited to 10 months of leave encashment or an amount of Rs 3 lakh, whichever is lesser.
Can you advise me on how to improve my credit score with CIBIL? Since two years, EMI of my home loan and car loan are not paid regularly, and some cheques have bounced.
— KK Lashkari, Indore
If your financial situation has improved currently, prioritise your loan commitments and try to pay off all your debts. This will be updated in your CIBIL records by your bank. In order to improve your CIBIL score you can opt to use your credit card effectively by paying up dues on time every time in full and also handle future loans you may procure with great diligence. Though this will improve your credit score by leaps and bounds, you still will need to remember that your past repayment track record and your irregular EMI payments will have an impact on any future loan you might apply for and you might face difficulty in obtaining one. The bank always looks at the whole picture and does not take the credit score alone at face value when granting a loan. You may have to wait for around the mandated 7 years before you can start on a clean slate as by that time frame any defaults recorded will be discarded. Of course this still means you will have to ensure you build an impeccable repayment record within this time frame.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held