F16, F18s would have provided India unbeatable platforms: US
Having lost out on the multi-billion Indian Air Force contract, the Pentagon said American fighter jets - F16 and F18 - would have provided India unbeatable platforms with proven technologies at a competitive price.
"We are extremely confident that the F/A-18IN and F-16IN would have provided the Indian Air Force unbeatable platforms with proven technologies at a competitive price," the Pentagon spokesman Cmdr Leslie Hull-Ryde said.
"As you know, our platforms are derived from combat proven fighter aircraft and represent the cutting-edge of proven technology," Hull-Ryde said.
The Pentagon remarks came a day after India announced that the French company Dassault Aviation has emerged as the lowest bidder for its multi-billion fighter jet deal, beating out the Eurofighter Typhoon.
In April India had already rejected the bids of two American fighters jets along with that of the Russians and Swedish.
Hull-Ryde clarified that there has been no offer to sell F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (JSF) to India.
"Should India indicate interest in purchasing the JSF, the United States would be prepared to provide information on the JSF and its requirements (infrastructure, security, etc) to support India's future planning," she said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow