Farmer’s death: Mob attacks police station
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Mathura The farmer was killed after a policeman allegedly tried to pull him down from his tractor-trolley in a bid to extort money.
Angry over the death of a farmer — who was killed after a policeman allegedly tried to pull him down from his tractor-trolley in a bid to extort money — a mob attacked the
Shergarh police station in Mathura district and torched vehicles parked there.
Mathura SSP Pradeep Yadav said four persons were injured in the clash with the police. He said it was yet to be verified if all of them were hurt by police bullets. Yadav said two of the injured were critical while all four had been sent to Agra for treatment. The station officer was also injured in the clash.
The state government announced Rs 5 lakh as financial aid to the family of the farmer who died and Rs 50,000 each to those seriously injured.
In a statement, Principal Secretary (Home) R M Srivastava said that the government had ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident and strict action had been ordered against the erring police officials.
Yadav suspended six policemen including the local station officer for their alleged role behind the extortion bid and the firing. Rajendra Prasad Yadav, Circle Officer (Chhata area), said an FIR was lodged against Shergarh station officer Sanjeev Chauhan and five policemen on the complaint of the farmer's family members.
According to the police, the incident took place on Tuesday morning around 7 am when Jeetu Singh, 19, a resident of Naugaon village, was returning to his village after collecting mustard-straws from Naujheel area. Locals alleged that a group of policemen tried to extort money from Jeetu. When Jeetu's driver moved the tractor, a policeman caught Jeetu, who was sitting on the mudguard. He fell and the trolley ran over him.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’