Father, uncle ‘kill’ 20-yr-old girl for honour, arrested
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Upset over his 20-year-old daughter's affair with a boy of another caste, a retired army personnel allegedly killed her with the help of his elder brother by asphyxiating her with a pillow on the intervening night of September 11 and 12.
Amritsar (Rural) Police on Thursday arrested Balwinder Singh and his brother Baldev Singh for allegedly killing Rupinder Kaur when she was asleep.
Inquiry Officer Harpal Singh said the deceased, a resident of Jandiala, was allegedly in a relationship with Sukhdev Singh (21), a resident of Jaanian village, for the past one year. Kaur belonged to Mazhabi Sikh community and her friend was from a Jat Sikh family.
"Balwinder, who retired as a sepoy from the Army, and his family were against Kaur's wish to get married to Sukhdev. On September 11, Balwinder and his brother warned Kaur that they will kill her if she continued her affair. But, the girl did not budge from her stance and also told Sukhdev over the phone that she might be killed by her family. On this, Sukhdev told her that he will take her away in a few days," the officer said.
"But Balwinder and Baldev allegedly killed her on the intervening night of September 11 and 12 using a pillow while she was sleeping," Harpal said.
He added that the police were alerted by Sukhdev. The police took the body of the girl in custody. The body was cremated on Thursday after the post mortem examination .
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held