Volkswagen recalls over 384,000 cars in China
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Volkswagen to recall almost 385,000 China vehicles
Shanghai, Mar 20 (AFP) German auto giant Volkswagen will recall 384,181 vehicles in China over gearbox defects, it said today after state television criticised it over the issue.
In a company statement Volkswagen said an electronic malfunction could cause cars to lose power while being driven.
"In isolated cases, an electronic malfunction in the control unit or a lack of oil pressure inside the gearbox mechatronics may result in a power interruption," the
Steering and braking would not be impacted, it added. The vehicles affected include both imported models such as the Audi A3 and domestically-made ones, among them the Magotan and Passat, said the Chinese government's quality watchdog, which on Saturday had ordered the recall.
The move followed a year-long investigation, it added, and the cars involved came off the assembly line between December 2008 and early this month.
Volkswagen said it would replace components in the gearbox of affected vehicles for free.
The recall came after China Central Television alleged in an annual corporate malpractice programme that Volkswagen had used substandard gearboxes in some models, causing acceleration problems and accidents.
Volkswagen, which is Europe's biggest carmaker, said last week it planned to open seven more factories in China, the world's largest car market.
It currently has two passenger vehicle production joint ventures with China's SAIC Motor and FAW Group.
"In the coming years, we will build at least 10 new factories, seven of those in China alone," VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn told reporters last week as the company announced record net profit.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow