FE Editorial : The price of onions
Apart from not having on-off export policies, the other thing Indian policymakers need to concentrate on is to get India's processing of fruits and vegetables up from the 6% or so levels that they are right now. Take anything you like, from tomato purees to dehydrated onions, and the price volatility is dramatically lower and, unlike in the case of raw vegetables, the difference between wholesale and retail prices is also much lower.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations