Fearing mob fury after accident, constable jumps into river, dies
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
The body of a constable from Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), who had jumped into Sabarmati river along with a colleague after his speeding car hit a bike near Gandhi Bridge on Friday, was fished out a day later.
The deceased has been identified as constable Surendra Dataniya, who had been posted with the NCB for the last five years.
According to Naranpura police, Surendra and his colleague Rasik Lal Patni, also a constable with NCB, were travelling in his car when it hit a bike, seriously injuring its two riders.
As a crowd gathered, Surendra and Rasik fled to Gandhi Bridge and jumped into the river to escape public wrath.
"They panicked and instead of helping the victims, they jumped into the river," Inspector D M Jadeja said, adding while Rasik was saved by a few locals.
The police have registered a case of accidental death. They have also registered a case of accident and are looking for Rasik, who is at large.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow