Fearing social stigma, minor rape victim in Sonipat immolates herself
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians continue to lose wickets
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Social fear haunted a minor rape victim in Sonipat district of Haryana as she set herself on fire late on Friday evening.
The incident comes just weeks later, when the whole country is mourning the death of the 23-year old Delhi gangrape victim, who was raped and brutally beaten by six men in a moving bus.
The girl, who has been admitted to a Rohtak hospital, is 16-years-old and was allegedly raped by her neighbour Rakesh when she was on her way back home from school in the first week of January.
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sonipat, Balbir Singh, confirmed the victim's age, and said that her mother registered the complaint.
"We got a complaint that a man called Rakesh raped this girl and that is why she burnt herself. The victim is 16 years of age and studies in 10th standard," he said.
The victim's mother told the reporter that Rakesh plotted the kidnapping of her girl by lying to her about her father's sudden illness.
The victim, got inside Rakesh's car and after locking the doors, he revealed his true intentions.
"The man told her that he was lying to her and that her father was fine and then kidnapped her and raped her," the mother said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held