Festive cheer helps dispel darkness among Yerawada prisoners
The inmates are not allowed to burst any firecrackers as they can pose a potential hazard within the prison. "Firecrackers can be dangerous inside a jail; someone can get hurt or some untoward incident can take place," says Desai.
"They are here to serve sentences and so they cannot really celebrate Diwali like other people," he adds.
However, none of this has dampened their Diwali cheer. "Diwali makes the inmates happy because of the festive spirit that is everywhere. They feel cheerful because it is a slight change from their daily routines," says Desai.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow