Final Metro corridor alignment plan varies from initial model
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
The alignment of the proposed Metro corridors have been tweaked and finalised after bringing about changes in the initial plans. While one of the initial proposals was to have one of the corridors along the Purv Marg, another one had proposed a corridor along the Jan Marg crossing through Sectors 22 and 23 and Sectors 35 and 36.
The final alignment has taken care to touch the major points like the PGI, General Hospital, Sector 17 and Sector 43 bus stands and the Railway Station.
Keeping in view the heritage character of the city, the Metro corridors are proposed to be underground when the alignment reaches Panchkula, in order to save the mazar that is on the way from demolition it moves to north of the road. Corridor I or the North South corridor would originate from the Capitol Complex. It would lead southward along the median of Jan Marg along which the East West corridor passes. Sector 9 station has been proposed at Matka Chowk, the junction of Jan Marg and Madhya Marg. It would further lead towards south along the centre of Jan Marg and then turn left passing under Sector 17. The Sector 17 station has been planned under the open space close to
Thereafter the would align along the central verge of Himalaya Marg. Metro stations at Aroma, Sector 34 and Sector 43 would be built underground. A Switch Over Ramp (SOR) has been proposed to be built between Sector 43 and 52. The road would be widened to compensate for the space occupied by SOR. The first elevated station of this corridor would be built at Sector 52. The alignment would move forward and come on the central median of Himalaya Marg. It would then turn left and align with the road leading to Aero City. Terminal station Gurdwara Shaheeda has been proposed just after turning.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'