Fire in Cuffe Parade building
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A flat on the 19th floor of a residential building in Cuffe Parade was destroyed in a fire in the early hours of Sunday
Fire brigade officials said the fire broke out in the A wing of Jolly Maker Chambers, G D Somani Road. At least eight fire engines, apart from special appliances and ambulances, were pressed into service to douse the grade two fire. No injuries were reported. The fire was brought under control in around six hours, an official said.
"The fire started in flat 1901, which was gutted. We rescued 26 persons from the building, including residents of flat 1901, women and children. While the building had all the fire-safety and fire-fighting mechanisms in place, none of these were in working condition." The official added, "Using special appliances, we evacuated those living on the upper floors, that is 20-23, of the building."
Five days ago, a grade one fire had broken out on the fifth floor of Mittal Tower Building in the same area. "We are conducting regular fire audits in buildings in the area," said Chief Fire Officer Suhas Joshi.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held