Five of a family drown in river during immersion
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Five members of a family drowned in Vatrak river in Gandhinagar district on Thursday while one was rescued. Police said the family belonged to Naroda Gam and had gone to the Utkanteshwar Mahadev temple near Dahegam town for Ganesh immersion.
The incident happened in the afternoon when a large crowd of devotees thronged the river for immersion. Police said the family members entered the river and slipped when the flow of water suddenly increased.
Soon, police and an emergency services team reached the spot and launched a rescue operation. They could rescue just one of the six people.
Fire and emergency services officials took almost four hours to fish out the bodies.
The deceased were identified as Sagar Ambalal Thakor, Pooja Umesh Thakor, Rahul Umesh Thakor, Sejal Ranjit Thakor and Vijay Ashok Thakor.
Hiral Thakor was rescued and shifted to the civil hospital.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'