Five-yr-old raped, murdered; body found near Vashi home
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Victim had gone missing Tuesday evening.
A five-year-old girl who went missing Tuesday evening was found dead outside her residence in Vashi early Wednesday morning. Medical reports showed that the girl had been raped. Police have detained the watchman of the building where she stayed with family.
APMC police said the victim was a resident of the Om Sai Nivas in Kopri village, Vashi. On Tuesday evening, when her parents returned home from work, they could not find her. The girl's brothers were playing with friends near the building and did not know where she was. Her parents searched for her in the locality, but in vain. They then approached APMC police.
"They returned home around 2.30 am on Wednesday and found her body near their house. The body was sent for post-mortem," said an officer.
Police said the accused may be a resident of the locality as he seemed to know when the victim would be alone. Besides, the body was abandoned near the girl's residence, police said.
"Post-mortem reports confirmed rape. We have registered a case of murder and rape under the Indian Penal Code and sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act. Opinion on cause of death has been withheld pending further examination. However, we suspect that she was strangled," said Navi Mumbai Commissioner of Police A K Sharma.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'