Self-styled godman Swami Keerthi booked for sexual abuse
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
A 40-year-old self-styled godman was booked here after a woman devotee accused him of sexual abuse, police said today.
Swami Keerthi, who has set up a Bharati Spiritual Ashram here, was booked yesterday by the police following a complaint by the victim, who also alleged that he demanded money and threatened to kill her, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP), Paderu, A R Damodar said.
The victim, who was sexually assaulted in August and has been a follower of Keerthi for long, alleged that other women followers at his Ashram were also undergoing similar harassment, the police officer said.
Based on the complaint, the police has registered cases under IPC sections 120B (Punishment of criminal conspiracy), 420 (Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property), 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and investigations are on.
Keerthi, a native of Marripalem area in Visakhapatnam came to Paderu in the agency area, a decade ago and identified himself as a spiritual guru, allegedly duped people by promising to cure them of their diseases and solving their problems through supernatural powers.
Keerthi has set up his ashram in around three acres of land near Vanthadapalle in Paderu.
According to police, Keerthi claimed himself to be a relative of freedom fighter Alluri Sitaramaraju.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held