Foundation of Jalpaiguri circuit bench laid
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Amid controversy, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Calcutta High Court Chief Justice Jaynarayan Patel Saturday jointly laid the foundation stone of the permanent complex of Circuit Bench at Jalpaiguri. A total of 40 acres of land has been earmarked for the new building of the circuit bench beside the national highway at Jalpaiguri. A majority of judges of the High Court abstained from attending the programme.
During his speech, Patel said the new building of the Circuit Bench will be completed in two years. About 25,000 pending cases from six districts of North Bengal — Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North Dinajpur, South Dinajpur. Coochbehar and Malda — will be shifted to the circuit Bench.
The Chief Minister said a circuit bench at Jalpaiguri was a longstanding demand of the people of North Bengal as they had to travel to Kolkata for filing petitions and affidavits.
She said the Supreme Court will now issue a notification for the opening of the Circuit Bench in a temporary building. A bungalow of zila parisad was renovated for the same.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM